Friday, July 31, 2009

Dry run? Not so much.

6:02 am my alarm goes off. As usual, I wake up in a panic and wonder a) why I am waking up early and b) whether I am late for something. It usually takes a good 30 seconds before I get on track. Mornings can be rough.

In spite of my morning fog, I arose and got ready for my triathlon workout. I suited up in my new two-piece TYR swimsuit with some sweet spandex biking shorts and top over it. As previously mentioned, I look like I'm wearing some sort of leather cat suit...meow! Maybe I will be cast in the next Batman movie? Wishful thinking. I hopped on my bike and rode to the pool to swim 1000 yards (or 40 laps for you non-swimmers), which is a little more than the distance I will be swimming in the sprint triathlon. When I got out of the pool as some Pleasantville Swim Teamers were getting ready to begin their last practice of the season, it had begun to drizzle. I was already wet though so it didn't bother me much. Even though it was pretty rough having to put on the tight cat uniform over a wet bathing suit when it's really muggy out. So much for fast transitions.

As I got back on my bike I started to plan out the route I was going to ride. I was hoping to complete anywhere from 12-16 miles. Unfortunately, I had to cut my ride to 10 miles because I got caught in a TORRENTIAL downpour. And I'm talking heavy rain, borderline hail. My cat suit was like second skin at this point and my sneakers were completely water logged. Thank goodness for the nifty visor thing on my helmet that shielded my eyes from the rain, otherwise I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to see anything. I was pretty annoyed because I woke up really early on purpose in order to avoid the storms that Mr. G had forecasted for later in the afternoon! Not cool. All I could think about was whether or not I would be able to complete my tri workout and run in this weather.

Fortunately, by the time I got home and changed my shoes, which felt like bricks by now, the rain had let up a little. I threw on my mom cap (shout out to Hannah--the original owner of the mom cap) and headed out on my run. Of course, the skies open up yet again when I am on the opposite side of town. Why does it always happen that way? It was raining even harder this time and reminded me of that fateful day at Connecticut College when we ran the NESCAC race in 60 mph winds, hail, rain and waist-high puddles (aka the worst experience of my life). Even though this storm did not even come close to measuring up to that horrible (dare I say life-threatening?) weather in November 2006, the flooded streets of Pleasantville did make me think of that race, and not in a fond way. I found a picture from that day from the infamous Facebook group "Victims of the NESCAC rash" that I thought I would share with everyone to give you a glimpse of what it was like that day. I will do you all a favor and spare you the details of the disgusting rash we all suffered as a result of the fungus puddles (as if running in that weather was not punishment enough). Let's just stay we were all thankful it was cold enough to wear pants for six weeks because the rash was quite unsightly.
Random Colby runners completely oblivious to the fact that their post-race frolicking in the puddles will lead to a vicious skin rash. Way harsh.


So, although this was a very long-winded post, I wanted to give some detailed feedback about my not so dry run of the triathlon this morning. Plus, the whole time I was thinking, "Well at least I'll have something to blog about." Clearly my life is really exciting. Ha! All in all, it was a good practice and I know I'll be ready if it rains on the day of the triathlon!


No comments:

Post a Comment