Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Jaded Journalist

Now that I've been an official journalism student for a few weeks, I've been doing a lot of thinking about my blog. (Clearly the thinking has not materialized into writing, as my lack of blog posts clearly demonstrates). I'm afraid the snapshots into my daily life are hardly unique, and doesn't attract many followers other than my friends who are bored at work (not that there's anything wrong with that--I really do appreciate it). My point is that if I really want to call myself a blogger, I need to step it up a notch. And I mean more than just being more consistent with postings, considering I can't make any promises with my unpredictable grad school schedule. Rather, I would like to write more meaningful, focused pieces. Don't worry, I won't bore you with scholarly essays, I'll still maintain the tongue-in-cheek language that bloggers are known for. I will, however, try to expand my writing outside of my daily life. (Even though, let's face it, you all love to know the ins and outs of my life ;)

So, right now, I'm in the brainstorming phase. I'm reading "The Elements of Journalism" by Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel (yes it's required reading, don't judge) and have been inspired to think more about the purpose of the career I'm paying a fortune to attain. In an age when any Average Joe (sorry for the cliche!) can report the news, it seems ridiculous to spend the time and money for a master's degree in reporting the news. But, the truth is, professional journalists set out to tell the truth and tell it well. People need and crave to know what is going on around them, which is why, despite what anyone says, journalism will never die! Muah...ha...ha. Ok, I'm going off on tangents now. And I'm tired. And a little tipsy considering the crazy Mexican waiter at dinner tonight decided to personally come over and pour extra Tequila in Liz and my margs. Not sure what that was about, but can't say I hated it :)

Moral of the story (which according to my peer editors I take too long to get across in my articles...I think they're right) is that I have a new theme, or rather an inspiration for my blog. Drum roll please...The Awareness Instinct. It's a term I borrowed from Kovach and Rosenstiel which refers to the need for people to know what is going on around them and to be aware of events beyond their direct experience in order to negotiate their lives and make human connections. Since I am guilty of being a nosy person who needs to know about everything and anything, I think it is appropriate to use this "need for news" as a guide. So--I plan on keeping my eyes extra peeled during my adventures in the Big Apple not only for my class assignments and stories, but for you, my faithful blog readers. I will do my best to inform you on things I think you need, or might crave to know (even if it is about me sometimes, ha). Who knows, maybe that won't change anything. I'll be honest, I was a lot more inspired about this while I was reading my book on the train after class then I am on the couch and ready for bed. I am, however, going to make a conscious effort to make my posts more meaningful, and as per Liz's request, "shorter." Hopefully this is at least some what coherent. If not, I apologize. Blame the tequila and guac. Hopefully my professor is not reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment