Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back to the blog

Wow, it's been over a week since I've last blogged. That's basically a century in blog years. Since then I've traveled the world, won a Pulitzer Prize, gotten married and birthed three children since we've last met, no big deal. I'm kidding, of course, just a little lame joke for y'all. I've got to get your attention somehow! Lucky for you, I do have a few exciting things to blog about since it's been so long. I don't even know where to start. I will attempt some sort of chronological order.

I'll begin with a quick grad school update. It's the second full week of classes, and it's been quite the whirlwind already. I've officially been assigned to my "beat," which is a specific area of coverage (either topical or geographical) for a reporter. My beat is Fort Greene, Brooklyn--a very diverse, cultural, somewhat gentrified, and not to mention exciting neighborhood (so far). My role as a student/reporter is to explore and spend a lot of time in Fort Greene, talking to residents to find out what is "new and interesting." This week's assignment is to do a detailed profile of an active community member. I interviewed a pastor for two hours on Tuesday and found out plenty of new and interesting things about him. Now all I have to do is write it, ha. Also, this weekend Spike Lee (a born and raised Fort Greene-er) is hosting a birthday party for the one and only Michael Jackson in a nearby park. Anyone interested in accompanying me? There will be lots of Thriller dancing, to be sure.

I've also been learning some photo tricks and Final Cut Pro. Enough about that though, you probably don't care. The best news is that I was able to get my Saturday class switched to Monday night! Hooray! By the way, I still hate the 1 train, in case you're wondering. Why must you be so unreliable and make me miss my train? Not cool 1 train, not cool.

In other, REALLY exciting news, Liz and I attended Britney's circus tour concert at Madison Square Garden. Lots of glitter, lots of screaming girls, and lots of fun! Granted she was not really singing (or even lip syncing for that matter), but she sure looked hot! Not "I'm a Slave 4 You" hot, but pretty close to it. The tabloids ain't lying my friends, Britney is back.

Well, I know this blog post wasn't terribly exciting, but I'm easing you back into it--just a taste, if you will. I also have homework to do, woops! Priorities. I need to take some lessons from my blog mentor and inspiration, Mr. Capone. I appreciate your shout-out, and not to mention helpful advice, and have been feeling guilty for not giving you proper recognition! I aspire to live up to your clever wit that brings all the readers to the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment