Monday, August 10, 2009

It's raining, it's pouring!

Not only was today the hottest day of the summer (somewhere around 100 degrees), we also just experienced one of the worst thunder and lightning storms in a while. I looked out the window to monsoon-like conditions that slowed traffic on the busy street of Broadway to 5 mph and unfortunately there was still a car accident. Don't worry, Sargeant Cindy was on the case and had the Pleasantville Police on the phone within two minutes giving them the play by play. It kind of reminded me of the first time our house flooded in September 1999. I was awoken at the crack of dawn to my sister screaming at me to wake up and get downstairs to recover what we could from the basement, which was filled with waist-high water by the time I arrived on the scene. I would post photos, but unfortunately that was before the digital camera era and who knows where those prints are. The best part of the pictures, which came in handy for insurance purposes, was that the only camera we had was one of those box cameras with the captions along the bottom of the picture once it was printed. It just so happens the captions were vacation themed and read things like: We're having a great time, Fun in the sun, and my personal favorite...Wish you were here! Needless to say, the pictures and captions helped us make light out of an unfortunate situation--after we dried ourselves off, ofcourse.

While that seems like an irrelevant tangent to my blog, tonight's storm reminded me of the days when a drop of rain would send my parents into a frenzy. Tonight we were on the brink of getting out the buckets to bail out water when the rain started seeping (more like pouring) in underneath our kitchen door, apparently due to an overflow of water on the back porch. Turns out it was nothing a bunch of old towels couldn't soak up. Phew.

Now that the rain has subsided, I'm relaxing comfortably in my bed, drinking some tea (Quote of the day: "Grace brings contentment"), and about to continue Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities. My goal was to finish it before grad school started, but not sure if that will happen, considering I have 300-something pages left and orientation is on Wednesday. Maybe that's how I will spend my last day of freedom (aka boredom) tomorrow. After all, it's much too big of a book to carry around NYC in my purse. Wish me luck! Ta ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment